A glass of soda isn’t poison, however, having a can of cola each day definitely is. We don’t realize while drinking that there might be side effects of drinking coke every day. If you’re within the habit of gulping cans of soft drinks every day, you need to go easy.
Harmful effects of soft drinks in a human body are-
1. Leads to osteoporosis and reduce bone density
According to research, having a soft drink every day will lead to osteoporosis and increased risk of bone fractures in older women, probably due to a misproportion within the calcium and phosphate. An excessive amount of phosphate in the blood will interfere with the correct metabolism necessary for healthy bones. Caffeine can also prevent mineral absorption.
2. Will increase cancer risk
The preservatives and added colors in drinks can cause various disease such as-
• Orange color- Consist of Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is reacted with sodium benzoate, a typical preservative in the soft drinks, which converts into benzene in our body after consuming it. Benzene has been found to cause blood cancer.
• Black color- Consist of 4-methylimidazole which results in thyroid liver, and lung cancer.
• Plastic bottles and aluminum cans- Soft drinks are filled in plastic and aluminum cans used for packaging soft drinks are loaded with chemicals like Bisphenol A (BPA), the ill-famed carcinogen also better-known for raising blood pressure and destructing hormones.
3. Increases chance of diabetes
After consuming a soft drink there is a sharp spike in blood sugar level. Due to which, you feel hungry and thus resulting in weight gain. These ups and downs in sugar level will lead to higher risk of type 2 diabetes.
4. Will cause kidney failure
Due to phosphoric acid present in colas, have a higher probability of causing chronic kidney disease like kidney stones.
5. Risk of cardiovascular disease
People who consume soft drinks frequently have a 100% higher chance of obtaining a heart attack.
If you’re consuming an excessive amount of sugar from unhealthy drinks, it has lesser probabilities of consuming nutrients for our body. This will result in un-stabilized lipids which result in heart issues mostly such as heart failure.
6. Causes asthma attack and COPD
Drinking a single can of cola each day causes allergies within the airways and causes inflammation in the nasal cavity which can cause diseases like the asthma attack and COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder).
7. Causes tooth decay
Sodas consist of preservatives such as citric acid and phosphoric acid, which can tear away the teeth enamel. An excessive amount of sugar in your soda can remove smiles. There is sugar in soft drinks, which once reacted with bacteria within the mouth becomes an acid. This acid attacks teeth enamel and deteriorates it. Children and teenagers are especially prone to cavity due to their under-developed enamel.
8. Disrupt sleep
Every day having a cup of caffeine for teenagers is 45 mg which is almost equal to one can of soft drink. Plus caffeine is also found in your cold drinks.