Phyllanthus niruri, also known as stonebreaker or seed-under-leaf, is a small, creeping herb that is native to tropical and subtropical regions of the world. It has been used for centuries in traditional medicine to treat a variety of ailments, including kidney stones, liver disease, and jaundice.
Benefits of Phyllanthus niruri
Phyllanthus niruri has a number of potential health benefits, including:
- Kidney stones: Phyllanthus niruri may help to prevent and treat kidney stones. It does this by breaking down existing stones and inhibiting the formation of new stones.
- Liver disease: Phyllanthus niruri may help to protect the liver from damage and improve liver function.
- Jaundice: Phyllanthus niruri may help to reduce the symptoms of jaundice, a condition that causes the skin and whites of the eyes to turn yellow.
- Diabetes: Phyllanthus niruri may help to lower blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity.
- High blood pressure: Phyllanthus niruri may help to lower blood pressure.
- Diarrhea: Phyllanthus niruri may help to relieve diarrhea.
- Infections: Phyllanthus niruri may help to fight infections caused by bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
Uses of Phyllanthus niruri
Phyllanthus niruri can be used in a variety of ways, including:
- Tea: To make phyllanthus niruri tea, simply add 1-2 teaspoons of dried leaves to a cup of hot water and steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Tincture: Phyllanthus niruri tincture can be taken orally or applied topically to the skin.
- Capsule: Phyllanthus niruri capsules are available at most health food stores.
Dosage of Phyllanthus niruri
The recommended dosage of phyllanthus niruri varies depending on the condition being treated. For most conditions, a dosage of 3-6 grams of dried leaves per day is recommended.
Side effects of Phyllanthus niruri
Phyllanthus niruri is generally safe for most people to use. However, some people may experience side effects, such as:
- Stomach upset: Phyllanthus niruri can cause stomach upset in some people.
- Diarrhea: Phyllanthus niruri may cause diarrhea in some people.
- Headache: Phyllanthus niruri may cause headache in some people.
If you experience any side effects after using phyllanthus niruri, stop using it and consult with a healthcare professional.
Phyllanthus niruri is a natural herb with a number of potential health benefits. It may be helpful in preventing and treating kidney stones, liver disease, jaundice, diabetes, high blood pressure, diarrhea, and infections. Phyllanthus niruri is generally safe for most people to use, but it is important to be aware of the potential side effects before using it.