Your body needs both calcium and vitamin D. Are you sure you are getting enough? You should periodically check your Vitamin D level and calcium level.
How to increase vitamin d levels quickly? The most effective way to get more calcium and vitamin D is from your diet and sunlight. Sunlight is a good source of getting vitamin D. At least 60 minutes of sun exposure and not between 10 A.M.-5 P.M. is sufficient enough for your body.
Foods are high in calcium and Vitamin D –
Foods high in calcium:
• Calcium-fortified foods, like cereal, soy beverage, orange juice, and oatmeal.
• Fish such as perch, sardines, and salmon
• White beans
• Milk and cheese
• Pudding or custard made with milk
• Sardines, Atlantic canned with bones
• Fortified rice
• Dried fish, smelt
• Curd cheese
• Tofu, made with calcium sulfate
Click to know more- The Truth About Vitamin D
Foods high in Vitamin D:
• Beef Liver
• Fatty fish, like tuna, mackerel, and salmon
• Egg yolks
• Foods fortified with vitamin D, like some dairy products, orange juice, soy milk, margarine, and cereals
• Cooked Tuna, bluefin, yellowfin (albacore, ahi), Salmon, Atlantic, Herring, Trout, and Mackerel.
• Canned Salmon, chum, sockeye, Sardines, Atlantic
NOTE– Fish is the best option for getting vitamin D from food. Also, 3 ounces of cooked salmon consists of more than 450 international units (IU).
How much vitamin d and calcium should you take?
Here’s how much vitamin d and calcium should you take and need as per age in milligrams (mg).
According to research:-
• Age between 1-70 years: 600 IU
• Age between 71 and older: 800 IU
• Children between 1-3 years old: 700 mg
4-8 years old: 1,000 mg
9-18 years old: 1,300 mg
• Adults between 19-50 years: 1,000 mg
• Men between 51 to 70 years: 1,000 mg
• Women between 51 to 70 years: 1,200 mg
• Women and men from 71 and over: 1,200 mg
NOTE– Consult your doctor about higher levels of calcium and vitamin D. If you are deficient in vitamin D, you will suffer from various bone diseases, such as Arthritis, osteoporosis, etc. And if you have extreme Vitamin D level you might develop Kidney stones. Hence both ways are harmful to your body, so you should manage a moderate level. To increase vitamin d levels quickly and safely without any side effects you should go out for a morning walk at least 10 minutes for getting sun rays.
People who are most prone to vitamin D deficiency are mostly those who live in northern regions where there is little sunlight exposure. People having darker skin, having low-fat diets, consuming steroids, and using weight loss medications; all of them have deficient in vitamin D levels.
Top 10 Vitamin D Rich Foods
1) Caviar- 1 oz: 33 IU
2) Cod liver oil- 1 tsp: 440 IU
3) Eggs- 1 large: 41 IU
4) Mackerel- 3 ounces: 400 IU
5) Mushrooms- 1 cup: 2 IU
6) Raw Milk- 1 cup: 98 IU
7) Sardines- 3 ounces: 164 IU
8) Salmon- 3 ounces: 400 IU
9) Tuna- 3 ounces: 228 IU
NOTE– Getting sunlight is equal to consuming 2 of these vitamin D rich foods daily.